frOm sunda with spices
ingredients- serves 4
- 1000 ml water
- 200 grams of palm sugar/ unrefined concentrated cane or date juice/ raspadura/ gula jawa
- 120 grams of roasted ginger slices
- 2 cm or1 inch crushed lemon grass
- 5 cm cinnamon stick
- Half a pandan leaf(screwpine/pandanus)- shred a little and knot it up
- 5 grains of cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 / 4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp instant coffee if you like
Boil water together with all the above except palm sugar.
Once boiled, add palm sugar and simmer for 10 minutes.
I feel it is best to taste and add what is lacking, you may want a little more sugar, or perhaps you prefer extra ginger- continue to taste, simmer and taste until the versatile bandrek seems perfect for your taste buds.
I have reduced the pandan leaf to half piece only-was two pieces, but that’s me, I don’t want it’s fragrant to be too strong, otherwise I feel like I am drinking a dessert..and that is odd and alien to my senses.
Strain and Serve hot.