Wednesday, September 28, 2011

FISH CURRY RECIPE- SPANISH MACKEREL CURRY RECIPE

FISH CURRY RECIPE- SPANISH MACKEREL CURRY RECIPE

HI  FRIENDS, CAN ANYONE HELP ME HOW TO STOP THESE POP UPS THAT KEEP SHOWING IN MY BLOG.JUNIA TOLD ME ABOUT IT. I DID NOT SEE THEM..THERE ARE 4 POP UPS., ONE IS  A FOODIE, ONE IS A BAD VIDEO AND 2 GAMES ADVERTISEMENT. THANKS .


NO POP UPS ALLOWED N THIS BLOG!!!!!



Ingredients:
2 pieces cut Spanish mackerel-  each cut is about 1 inch or 2.5 cm thick. Clean and set aside

1 small packet meat curry powder mix- 24grams (mix with water to form a watery paste (not a thick paste)  
1 tablespoon dried chili flakes
½  inch young ginger root- cut into fine slices
3 pieces shallots- thin slices
2 pieces garlic- thin slices
2 stalks curry leaves
2 inches or about 5 cm cinnamon stick
2 pieces cloves
1 star anis
2 pieces cardamom pods

1 cup fresh coconut milk and add 2 cups water
OR use 3 cups low fat milk
6 pieces pickled green olives- rinse whole
4 pieces pickled baby gherkins- rinse whole, make a tiny slit once
2 tablespoon concentrated tamarind juice
A few green chili – do not slice or break them up
A few tablespoon cooking oil and salt to taste
Heat up cooking oil in a pot, enough oil for the curry paste to be completely submerged.
Add in shallots, garlic and ginger, stir until shallots turn light brown. Add in all the dry spices, curry paste, curry leaves and chili flakes. Stir continuously on low fire.
You may add a bit more water before the curry paste dries up and fry them a little longer. It is important that the curry cooks well over slow fire.  

 When the curry paste thickens, becomes aromatic and the oil turns bubbly, add in milk OR coconut milk , pickled olives, gherkins, salt and the Spanish mackerel. Stir the gravy over medium fire, do not stir the fish, it may break up.  
When the fish is cooked, add in tamarind juice. Turn off fire after 2 minutes. Once the fire is off, add in chili. Scoop out/ throw away excess oil found at top of curry gravy. 

By doing this, the hot, tongue tickling flavor of chili will not enter into the curry. This curry is much milder in terms of spices and chili used/ taste. Serve with rice…. I have not seen fish curry recipes with pickled olives and gherkins before. Enjoy! I simply love this :)


43 comments:

  1. Wao my dear, this is another yummy spicy post, i like it..keep sharing more yummy stuff
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an exotic, really mouth watering meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really love this idea; my husband would eat mackerel all the time, but we never see it fresh around here. He has a can every morning to start his day. Wishh I could serve this.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recipe....so mouth-watering and finger-licking. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow..mouth watering and lip smacking recipe..gravy looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like how you added sour gherkin.Goes well with all other spices;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this recipe, mackerel si probably my favorite fish along with salmon and tuna. You really made my day since I was looking for some fish recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great blend of ingredient, can imagine all the wonderful flavors going in there ~ nice fish recipe!
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a different and exotic meal. There are so many wonderful flavors involved...

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooooozingly spicy spicy Ms.Wan..I love eating healthy foods and mackarel is one of them..yummmyyy..thank you ms.Wan for this recipe :)

    *I'm sorry for not visiting lately..I was sick then..but I feel a lot better now *

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious and oozing with spicy flavours, our kind of food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh mackeral curry is one of my favourite dish. I have to take a break from blogging and find some food in kitchen. This made me very hungry. Look so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have done my assignment on the award you have given me Ms.Wan you can visit my site.Thank you *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome looking dish...Love fish, love curry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello Ms.Wan those glittering stuff..just type on your browser gif pictures..if you want fruits that are moving you can type fruits gif..this are pix that moves Ms.Wan hehehe..thank you again for your award Ms.Wan..

    ReplyDelete
  16. you can do your own award and even upload and edit your own pix Ms.Wan..I used picnik.com..it is fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks fantastic though I never added gherkin and olive in my curry! This is great with prata or rice...

    ReplyDelete
  18. fish curry sounds so interesting! sorry i haven't been able to read your blog lately! the popups are still happening. i get two of them. one is a game website. and other is a food advertisement!

    ReplyDelete
  19. here is a link Ms.Wan I edited the pix to place your names so it will be more personalized..but hmp..I couldn't put the sparkling back I didn't know why so I did replace it with fireworks instead..here is the link Ms. Wan *hugs* http://www.glitterphoto.net/

    ReplyDelete
  20. many thanks for the kind visits and sweet comments from creative mind, anu, Kristen,
    anaLuiza,rita, obehi, Julie, reshmi,
    dzoli, peachkins, andreea, aipi, ann,
    sie, nava, malay kadazan girl,
    treat and trick and junia.
    Have a wonderful day to all of you.,

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi CV,
    Fish curries, simply love them... esp with Spanish mackerel and with your added 4+spices should give out that lovely taste! Besides with plain white rice, love to have it with bread, chapatis or nuns!

    When I was in Sabah those days, fresh from the sea the Spanish mackerel cost a mere RM3 (approx USD1), for a 4kg whole fish we pay only RM12. And the better tastier varieties came from Tawau.

    Back here today, good fresh ones may cost anything to RM30!

    TQ for the recipe..

    You are right, I noticed pop-ups too once a while, maybe you shuld alert nuffnang?

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Its Dana =) thanks to Sie who introduced me to your blog through her blog =3

    Very Creative! I like the way you decorated it too, looks yummy
    Take care
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You add green olive into fish curry is new to me, must be very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I saw them a few times before..but today seems fine.
    Love the fish curry! Yummy!
    I wish you a flavourful and peaceful weekend!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this yummy spicy post. Fish looks delicious.

    Cheers,
    Uma

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Dear,
    Saw ur comment on Sabudana Khichdi. It's not at all difficult. And sabudana/sago means tapioca. Might be available everywhere :)

    But it's very easy :)

    Regards,
    Raksha

    ReplyDelete
  27. This not only sounds wonderful it looks wonderful! Yum! Your recipes are always so healthy and appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The photo in the top right corner looks wonderful - do you have a recipe for it?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  30. many thanks for the kind visits and sweet comments from katrina, black pearl, sonia,
    jay, angie, uma, raksha,
    mari wilbur and kalyan. Have a wonderful day

    @ mari wilbur, oh ya, the pic is a swiss roll, which i learnt to make at bakery class. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Swiss roll - looks delish - can you share the recipe?

    I have given you an award to post on your blog. You can pick it up on my blog :D Hope you like it!

    Regards, Mari

    http://mariscamera.blogspot.com/2011/10/liebster-blog-love-award-from-anna.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the ingredients used in this recipe. Looks delicious.

    ----------------------------
    Regards
    Spoon and Chopsticks
    http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. hello Ms.Wan I have passed another award to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fish Curry! Who can resist it? My grandma loves to make it hotter by adding more chili paste :D.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks spoon and chopsticks and tatabonita for your kind visits and sweet comments

    @ SIE- thank you, thats great! will visit you...

    @ Mari Sterling wilbur- thanks a lot mari for the award, visited your blog and taken the award...love it for sure, will post when my numbers are ready :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very nice reciepe. Simply love eating fish curry, the things you have added extra make it more yummy. Blessings for you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. happy to knw abt a different fish curry..vl try out

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very nice article, just what I needed.
    My website > The Source Diet

    ReplyDelete